If you're looking for an easy summertime dessert, this might strike your fancy. We found the rhubarb crumb cake recipe on the foodie blog Bob Vivant and recreated it with raspberries for our Sunday dinner guests. It's pretty good on it's own (like an almond studded fruity brownie textured cake), but we recommend the addition of Madisono's Madagascar Vanilla gelato. Recipe is as follows:
- Butter for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 8-inch, deep, fluted tart pan or 8-inch springform pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of the baking pan.
- For the crumb, combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Using a fork or your fingers, gently work in the butter until pea-sized lumps are formed.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and almond extract in a large bowl. Beat on high until the mixture triples in volume, about five minutes. Fold in the melted butter, flour, and rhubarb. Evenly spread the thick batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, until the topping is deeply golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan when it’s completely cool.
Makes 8-10 servings.